Castor Oil is often used to help start labor. It’s recommended
that you take 2-4 oz. It doesn’t start labor in all pregnancies,
and it those it does, the reasons why aren’t really clear. The
basic thought is that the bowel contractions help stimulate the
uterus to contract as well. There is also some believe that the
oil helps in the production of prostaglandins. One thing
everyone agrees on it that it tastes pretty bad.
Here are some
suggestions to help make it more palatable.
- Castor oil is hard to taste scrambled into 2 or 3 eggs.
- Drink oil straight followed immediately by hot apple juice.
- Put the castor oil in 3-4 oz. of root beer, then place a palm
over the glass, and shake it up HARD; then immediately guzzle all
of the now-all-foamy rootbeer. It suspends the castor oil.
- Add a couple of scoops of ice cream to the castor oil and
- Take one large glass of orange juice mix in three teaspoonful
of castor oil and one teaspoon of baking soda. This will make it
foamy, almost like a soda.